dinsdag 26 januari 2016

FOOD - Kue mangkok (steamed cupcake)

Good morning,  daily I like to eat cookies ore cakes. I can go to the supermarket and buy lots of packages cakes and other stuff when it's finished go back again to the supermarket but it's not satisfact me. So I'll make it by myself.

In the past, and I'll talk about more than 10 years ago, I've weekly made Indonesian and Moluccan biscuits/cookies/snacks. During the years I've got increasingly busy at my job and so had less time. Meanwhile I've got plenty of time, so I'm starting backing again. Searching for recipes and seeking them out and do some experiments with them again and again. I have to make food that I like and I'll try to improve a recipe again and again.

My mother has 10 children, so when we were little childeren, she made everyday tasty things. She stood for hours in the kitchen and always came up with the delicious Indonesian and Moluccan snacks. The last couple of years she can't do it anymore because she lives in a nursing home but she has learned us all (mandatory) to cook, bake and frying. One of the recipes she always made is Kue Mangkok. Kue Mangkok means a cookie in a glass. In the past she indeed made the steamed cupcakes in a tea glass and when they were ready she always gave my sister and me a warm kue mangkok to taste . I do not have small tea glasses so I used the cupcake silicon.

The following recipe I've got from my cousin from Arnhem. And they are delicious ....just try

RECIPE KUE Mangkok

Ingredients ( 10 pieces)

2 cups self-rising flour,
1 cup fine sugar,
Foodcolor: just choose the color you like (I used the green pandan paste and pink coloring of the Xenos (a dutch warehouse). If you want to go for natural foodcolor then you can use beetjuice or other natural product),

1 sachet vanilla sugar,
1 sachet baking powder (first mix the baking powder with lukewarm water to activate the powder),


1 cup dried coconut,

2 cups with Sprite or mineral water (at least carbon dioxide in it. Soda is also possible), 
Pinch of salt, 
10 papers cupcakemold, 

10 cupcakemold from silicone or small teacups are also good but don't use the paper cupcakemolds inside. You can do this afther the are steamed, 


A steamer to steam the Kue Mangkok, 


Gravy spoon, 

PREPARATION

Preheat the oven to 180 degrees.

Put in a mixing bowl the selfraising flour, sugar, vanilla sugar, dry coconut and mix it well 

Add the Sprite (or the mineral water) and stir it well with the dry ingredients. You will always see pieces of the coconut but that's allright. The batter is watery and that's good.

Take two bowls and divide the batter equally in the bowls.

Add the colorants that you like. Each bowl a different color. You only need a few drops because the colorant spread very well .






Your batter is ready to go in to the molds.

Put in the meanwhile the steamer on the stove and let the water boil well till hot. Put the lid on the bottom pan. The pan with the holes you gonna use it later.

Put the paper cupcakemols in the silicone cupcakemolds and put it in the pan with holes. Now you can put the batter in the molds and close the pan with the lid for 20 minuts. Let it steam let it steam and don't open it during the 20 minutes.


Steam the cupcakes in 20 minutes . You can see that the cake has risen considerably and the top is cracked open. This is very good.



Enjoy you'r delicious steamed cupcake and...oh yes...please write a comment below the blogpost if you made them!

Greetings Paula

NOTE: Don't forget to follow and like me on Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest and Instagram.

Geen opmerkingen:

Een reactie posten