maandag 11 juli 2016

DIY / Art: Which brand and which kind of paint do I use?

As a few of you know I make mixed media canvases. I work with different materials on the canvas and after that I'm painting and finished it with inkstsprays, acrylic paint or distress ink. What types and brands I use you can read in this blog post.


What types of paint do I use?


If I'm working on a mixed media canvas, this usually will takes 2 or 3 days. I start with a blank canvas and automatically get the ideas. My inspiration comes from the YouTube videos of Gabrielle Pollaco, Keren Tamir, Angela Holt and other scrapbook and mixed media professionals.

I always watch which kind of paint or inks they use and try to figure out whether to get this products in the Netherlands. Online almost everything is available on the webshops from the craft stores or specialty paint stores. But sometimes I can't get it in the Netherlands and I have to compelled to mix paint or ink or make the colorink with foodcoloring. In the past I went to Turkey in Fethiye and found a small hobby/craftshop in the centre of the city. They've got a large range of different types of paint: chalk paint, glitter paint, acrylic and oil paint. The brand that I use from Turkey is Cadence. They've got lots of colors and use for different kinds of craft and hobby.


The most used brands


I started with acrylics from the lowbudget store Action, Xenos and Big Bazaar, but I noticed that the paint does not give the same effect than the professional paints. Some  paint changed their color making my artwork ugly and that is a waste of days of work and of course waste of money. In Turkey I bought Talens and Faber Castell acrylic paint on the assumption that this was a good brand. But alas, it did not last long. By co incedend I walked in Amstelveen along a hobbyshop and found the paint (small tubes) from the brand Amsterdam. This paint is great. Remained long in color and even economical to use, in contrast of the paint of Action, Xenos and Big Bazaar.

Amsterdam acrylics


A very good brand. Lubricates well and is economical. The color remains good long time, even when you hanging your artwork in the sun. I am happy with this brand.


The colors

Black, White, Blue, Red, Yellow, Green, and so on.

















Ink Sprays, distress ink, distress paint



A totally different kind of paint and ink are the distress products. Distress basically means that if the product comes into contact with water it will and can fades or spreading out of your canvas or art journal. It gives such a nice effect on your artwork so you totally addicted touches on your artwork.












My mixed media canvas made with paints and ink sprays








Maybe you are a mixed media artist or you are a hobby painter of mixed media lover? Please leave a comment with (if it is possible) a photo of your work below this blogpost. Maybe you've got a advice for me which kind of brands there are more?

Greetings,
paula

Geen opmerkingen:

Een reactie posten